Pages

Friday, September 02, 2011

In a little gift shop somewhere in Western Australia...

... sit the first minuscule buds of my enterprise.

It's been a slow process, but at last I'm getting somewhere.

While I'm in the final leg (photography, packaging, listing) of opening the Etsy shop, at least I know not all of my handmade hairpins are quietly passing their soft-petalled days in a plastic box in my room.



As of today, a tiny consignment of hairpins is available for sale at the Kent St Gift Shop of the Victoria Park Centre for the Arts.

The petals are made using the Japanese tsumami-kanzashi technique; the centres are ruffled fabric pom-poms using the same fabric. They came to me as discarded sample swatches pleading to be made into something beautiful. I hope I obliged.

If you're in the area and would like to make one of them your own, please drop by the gift shop. If you're not in the area but would also like one, please email me or leave a comment so I can tell you when the online store finally goes live.

I suddenly have all this energy to promote my wares and make more. I think they call this momentum. I like it.

Oh, and one last thing. I'll give away the full proceeds (without knocking off the shop's commission, material costs or any other amount) from every tenth item I sell. For now, the money will go to a children's home in Thailand where a dear friend of mine is involved in helping the little ones to forge joyfully through adverse early lives. I'll tell you more about them soon, once I know how much of the project I'm at liberty to share.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails